A little etiquette goes a long way. And with the season of summer dinner parties upon us, a brush up on what-to-use-when is never a bad thing.
Take a look to quickly remember what you probably already know.
- A- Napkin
- B- Salad fork
- C- Dinner fork
- D- Fish fork
- E- Soup bowl
- F- Soup plate
- G- Dinner plate
- H- Dinner knife
- I- Fish knife
- J- Soup spoon
- K- Bread plate
- L- Butter knife
- M- Dessert spoon
- N- Dessert knife
- O- Water goblet
- P- Red wine glass
- Q- White wine glass
When in doubt [and when not at a fully decked out dinner table], go outside in on both sides of the plate, and remember “BMW”— bread, meal, water—for which glass is yours!
We’ve all seen Beyonce, J. Lo and Adele sporting luscious lashes, but what exactly does it take to get your eyelashes red carpet ready? Well, the ladies above love their lash extensions, but with so many options—how do you know what to do, where to go, what to ask for—it can be simply overwhelming.
Below are some frequently asked questions to get you in the know.
How long does it take for lash extension application?
- For a full set of lash extensions to be applied, count on close to 2 hours to be spent. A half set will set you back closer to just over an hour.
How long do lash extensions last?
- With proper maintenance, a full set of lash extensions can last you upwards of a year.
What happens if glue gets in your eyes? Can you go blind?
- Your eyes are closed during the lash application, so glue should not get in your eyes. And no, your lash technician should be properly trained so that the application is completely harmless. But you should be aware of any allergic reactions you might have. In the worst case, you might have to go to your doctor to get eye drops for any allergies.
How often do you need to get your lashes redone?
- The best way to keep your lashes looking flush year round is to get touch ups every 3-4 weeks. Since the extensions are applied to your natural lashes, as those fall out, your extensions will too.
Do lash extensions harm your natural lashes?
- No, this is the biggest myth about lash extensions. When applied properly lash extensions will not harm your natural lashes.
What can I, and can’t I, do while having lash extensions?
- There are a few things to keep in mind about your lash extensions. First, you want to avoid water 12-24 hours after the application. Water can weaken the glue’s bond. You will also want to avoid any oil based make up removers, as these too can loosen the glue, which means no waterproof mascara also. You can wash your face like normal after the first day, just keeping in mind to be gentle in the eye area [as you should already be doing], and feel free to use mascara, but only on the tips of the lashes, getting it into the base can cause the extensions to clump.
Your best bet for fabulous eye fringe is to make an appointment with one of Damone Roberts’ amazing lash ladies [one of each coast for you!]; Marina Mushinskaya at Damone Roberts Beverly Hills and Marley Moskel at Damone Roberts New York!
Got tea? Great! Tea is a great color booster for hair when used as a rinse.
Blonde? Use chamomile to brighten your strands.
Brunette? Black tea will give your color its richness back.
Heat 8 oz of water and steep 2 bags of your chosen tea. Apply to hair and cover with shower cap. Let sit 15-30 minutes then wash out with cool water.
Now your strands are stylin’.
Megan Fox is always effortlessly chic, even when she’s at the airport or just making a caffeine run. Stocked with fedoras and aviators, she always looks perfectly put together when paired with light t shirts and skinnies.
But there’s no need to pay $195 for a pair of Ray Bans, instead, head to Target to pick up their great pair for $17! Or check out Charlotte Russe to find a bevvy of fantastic fedoras! And you can’t forget your wonderfully worn in tshirts from Madewell.
You can get the sunglasses, 3 shirts and 4 fedoras for nearly $50 less than Megan’s sun shader’s alone!
Summer is the time for friends, BBQs and delish drinks!
Here is an easy recipe for a refreshing sangria:
- 4 cups watermelon, cubed and frozen
- 1/3 cups dry port*
- 1 lime, sliced thin
- 750ml bottle Moscato, chilled*
- 3 cups lime seltzer water
In pitcher, place 3 cups of watermelon, saving the rest for garnish. Add the port and Moscato, topping it off with the seltzer and lime. [* for a non alcohol version, sub port and Moscato for Ginger Ale!]
Pour over ice in glasses, stick a melon ball on it, and you’re off to refreshment heaven!
Not that we’re ever anything less than 100% prepared for any fashion or beauty emergency, but just in case, above are the makings for the best 911 kit— and you probably already own all the items!
Dig deep and round up:
- bobby pins- not only are they great for a quick updo when your lunch date turns into a dinner date, but they’re also great when a button falls off, and you need to clip it back onto your shirt or skirt.
- bronzer- use on the face for color, and on the eyes for a smokier look, and don’t forget you can always mix some with your lotion for glowing skin
- travel aerosol hairspray- tame those fly-aways, smooth down unruly brows, stop runs in nylons and lightly spray to stop static cling
- lipstick- find a shade that works for your skintone,and use it not only on your lips, but lightly pat on your cheeks for a perfect soft cheek color
- extra tough bandaids- blisters be gone, and any other boo-boos, but you can also use these for a quick hem or to hold a blouse opening closed, or to hold your bra strap to your top to avoid seeing those bad boys
- mascara- besides the obvious use, you can smudge mascara into your lash line for the look of eye liner, or if you’re daring, you can do a full smokey eye with it, blending with your bronzer
Pop them all in a cute lil bag, and you’ll never be anything but fabulous!
What’s in your 911 beauty kit?!
If you’re anything like me, you have a stack of great, worn in t-shirts in a pile, waiting for something to be done with them [since throwing them away is never an option!] Instead, take a pair of scissors and create a new masterpiece!
The steps are quick and easy, and the photo tutorial [thanks Catherine!] make it even easier:
- lay t-shirt out flat
- cut off sleeves, bottom hem and neck line
- adjust cuts to make the tank straps as thick or as thin as you’d like
- flip shirt over and cut a veeeery deep v into the back [the deeper the v, the sassier it looks once tied]
- take the bottom hem and tie the top of the straps together, winding it down about 2 inches, and tying it again at the bottom
- voila! brand new tank top for your summer wardrobe
Since practice makes perfect, try this on a shirt you should be throwing away, marking out the pattern with chalk or a pencil. You’ll have it perfected in no time!
Who doesn’t love the zingy refreshing taste of lemon and lime? Those two flavors are perfect for the hot, summer days soon to be upon us. But what’s even better is the great health and beauty benefits of adding lemon and lime to our water!
Not only does water help to hydrate our skin, keeping it looking youthful and dewy, but the simple act of dropping in a few wedges of the bright citruses can help to:
- balance pH levels
- boost immune system
- flush toxins
- reduce wrinkles and blemishes
- reduce bloating and water retention
- reduct tooth pains
- increase metabolism
- regulates digestion
- absorb essential nutrients
- reduce swollen gums and sore throats
- AND IT TASTES GREAT!
Add a slice, or 5, of these wonderful yellow and green treats to your daily glasses of water and toast to your health!